If you’ve made the decision that you’ll work with an accountant, whether for your business or personal finances, it’s important to take the time to carefully vet all of your potential options. Finding an accountant that meets all your needs can be a daunting task, and you’ll likely find plenty of qualified candidates.
There are some traits that are absolute must-haves in any accountant you work with. Here are a few examples of what you should look for in your chosen accounting firm in Oklahoma City, OK:
- Organization: Accountants need to be extremely organized, as they are responsible for tracking and maintaining a lot of data, paperwork and important figures. They must be capable of developing and using systems for quickly finding information—otherwise, they will be extremely unproductive and potentially inaccurate in their work.
- Keen attention to detail: Obviously, any time you’re working with numbers, you need to have an eye for the details. This is especially important for accountants, who are being paid for their accuracy. You should never have to remind an accountant that you need them to be accurate in their work—it should just go unsaid as being part of who they are.
- Creativity: While most people think of accountants as being primarily analytical thinkers focused on numbers, it is also important for them to be creative problem solvers. They’ll regularly need to be able to come up with fresh, unique solutions to fit their clients’ individual cases. Not all clients are able to benefit from generic, textbook financial solutions—there’s no such thing as “one size fits all” in the world of finance.
- Trustworthiness: You should be able to trust that your accountant will keep all of your personal information confidential. Accountants should never sell or otherwise provide your information to third parties—this is unethical and destroys the trust clients place in them.
- Collaborative: You might be of the perception that an accountant likes to labor alone in a dark room with a stack of paperwork and a calculator, but the truth is that the best accounting work is done in collaboration with the client. In a business setting, accountants are a valuable part of teams and can support multiple different departments. They are capable of working with many different kinds of professionals and personalities, making them not just very useful, but also highly versatile.
- Time management: Accountants must be able to handle a variety of other tasks beyond financial management, especially in a business setting. Today, they’re important figures in making strategic company decisions, so they need to be able to balance all the tasks they’re assigned, prioritize them and make the most of the time they have to get their work done.
These are just a few of the most important characteristics you should search for in an accountant. To learn more about the benefits provided by our accounting firm in Oklahoma City, OK, contact the skilled team at Chrisman & Chrisman Financial Services today.
Categorised in: Accounting Firm
This post was written by Writer