If you’ve decided to cut the guesswork and hire a professional to help you with filing your tax returns in Oklahoma City, OK, you may have already researched a few different local options. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to be certain that you are hiring a reliable tax preparer if you aren’t sure what you’re looking for. The good news is that you don’t have to struggle with the hiring process. There are a few basic guidelines that you can follow to direct your search for a tax professional. By making sure you know what you’re looking for, you can successfully find a dependable tax preparer who will be able to secure the best value from your return.
- Ask for their PTIN: Any tax preparer who is compensated for assisting with filing federal returns must have a preparer tax identification number (PTIN), as required by the IRS. You should make sure that they have a PTIN and that they put the number on your return to ensure that you file according to IRS rules.
- Consider organization membership: Look for members of national organizations like the National Association of Tax Professionals or the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Firms that have membership in one of these organizations are likely to operate in accordance with high professional and ethical standards.
- Take credentials into account: Different tax professionals have different credentials, and some are certainly more qualified than others. There are certified public accountants (CPAs) and law licensed tax professionals, as well as IRS enrolled agents. These extra designations may improve your tax professional’s ability to prepare your taxes with a high level of accuracy and ensure that you are getting the best value for your money.
- Prepare for the possibilities: Even if you correctly file all of your taxes in accordance with IRS guidelines, you still may receive a random audit from the agency. When this happens, it’s important to know that your tax professional will be there to help you. Make sure to ask your tax professional whether they would be able to assist you in the event that you are audited, or if there winds up being some other type of issue with your return.
- Compare rates: It’s a good idea to ask for rates from a number of different tax firms and professional filers before making your choice. Although cost should not be the primary determining factor, it’s still a good idea to compare different providers who offer similar services based on what they charge.
When you are looking for a reliable tax professional for assistance with tax returns in Oklahoma City, CA, Chrisman & Chrisman Financial Services is here to help. We have over 35 years of experience providing services like tax filing, bookkeeping and payroll for small business owners who are looking for comprehensive financial service assistance. We take the guesswork out of bookkeeping so that you can continue to focus on the operation of your business. Get in touch with us today to learn more!
Categorised in: Tax Returns
This post was written by Writer